1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and brown the bacon. Remove the bacon from the pan and put to one side.
3. Place the chicken thighs into the pan and brown all over. Remove from the pan.
4. Soften the onion in the pan, and when it begins to turn translucent, return the bacon and chicken to the pan with the garlic, pepper, chicken stock, passata, red wine, paprika, caraway seeds and the seasoning. Bring the whole lot to the boil.
5. When it has come to the boil, transfer the entire contents into a casserole dish with a lid, and cook in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove the lid for the last 20 minutes of cooking, to give it a nice brown colouring.
- 15ml/1tbsp oil for frying
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 10 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloved garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 510ml/17fl oz chicken stock
- 510ml/17fl oz passata
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- 10ml/2tsp paprika
- 5ml/1tsp caraway seeds
- salt and pepper